Cannon fires brace in U21 win over PSG

Tom Cannon hit a brace as Everton Under-21s maintained their perfect Premier League International Cup record with a 2-1 victory over Paris Saint-Germain at Walton Hall Park.

A day after making his first team debut in the Carabao Cup at Bournemouth, Cannon scored twice in the first half, leveling with a Stanley Mills cross and converting a penalty, as Paul Tait’s side fended off a goal. against.

He ensured the young Blues followed up with a 5-0 win over Braga and a 4-1 triumph against Hertha Berlin to make it three wins from three in the competition.

The French side squandered an early opportunity when Ismael Gharbi pinched the ball near Everton’s penalty area, but luckily his shot went wide.

Everton sought to press Paris high and their efforts saw them frequently win back possession close to their opponents’ goal.

Cannon was a problem for the visitors all night, and looked to be in goal for the first time were it not for a fantastic recovery tackle from Ethan Bagbonon Boudie after Issac Price’s delicate pass.

Everton’s first real chance came on 10 minutes when Charlie Whitaker climbed higher inside the penalty area to narrowly headed over the crossbar after another excellent pass from Price.

But it was Paris who took the lead with 17 minutes on the clock through Ismael Gharbi. The No10 started and finished a flowing play that swept back and forth with Gharbi finding the ball in the Everton penalty area and hitting a low effort into the bottom corner.

Going a goal behind didn’t stop Tait’s side, however, as Whitaker looked for an instant response when Sebastian Quirk slid him into the PSG penalty area, only missing the target with a strong effort.

Goalkeeper Zan-Luk Leban ensured Everton stayed just one goal away when he landed a strong hand behind Dan Bikouta’s powerful cross shot.

Cannon ignored his penalty cries as he came under heavy challenge in the box, before Mills put up a low effort from outside the box just wide.

The hosts’ equalizer came just after half an hour, with Cannon showing his awareness of being in the right place at the right time to fire home Mills’ low cross after Everton’s number seven’s dizzying run towards the penalty. on the right band.

Cannon got the second for both himself and Everton less than 10 minutes later, when he converted a penalty into the lower right corner which he won when Mills was brought down for a late challenge.

The Blues began the second half as they finished the first, with the efforts of Whitaker, Cannon and Mackenzie Hunt saved or blocked in quick succession as Everton’s right flank became a joy for Mills and Roman Dixon to fire crosses into the PSG box. .

Cannon thought he would have secured his hat-trick were it not for a deft touch to convert his wonderful 30-yard shot over the bar.

PSG were looking to come from behind with 15 minutes to go, and the French team would have been back in the game were it not for two excellent saves by goalkeeper Leban to secure Everton’s victory.

Leave a Comment