Football

‘You take responsibility for what happened’

Gary Neville says it’s getting frustrating that Man Utd star Cristiano Ronaldo avoids speaking to the media and fans.

The Portuguese international spent most of the summer transfer window looking for a way out of Old Trafford after Man Utd failed to qualify for the Champions League.

Unfortunately for Ronaldo, there was a lack of interest in his services with an unnamed Saudi Arabian club, the only team to show concrete interest.

Erik ten Hag has always maintained that Ronaldo is in his plans this season despite the striker only starting four of his 13 Premier League games this season.

His lack of opening came to a head recently when the 37-year-old refused to come off the bench in a 2-0 win over Tottenham last month.

Ronaldo was subsequently fined and forced to train alone. before apologizing to Ten Hag and rejoined first team training the following week.

Despite his disciplinary problems, Ronaldo was named captain when Manchester United faced Aston Villa at the weekend in a 3-1 loss.

And Neville has criticized Ronaldo for not being interviewed after the game at Villa Park with the Man Utd striker ducking responsibility.

Neville said in the overlap: “The [Ronaldo] He came out as captain of Manchester United and the team lost. Your job is to speak at the end of the match. I have been there in that position.

“If you win, the player who scored the goal or the star man comes out and speaks. If you lose, he is your goalkeeper, he is your centre-back or he is your captain.

“Why didn’t we hear about him? He should have been there to say, ‘This is what we did wrong today, we’re going to work hard for next week and we’ll be ready for the next game.'”

Man Utd play Aston Villa again on Thursday in the Carabao Cup ahead of a Premier League game against Fulham in their final game before the World Cup.

It could be Ronaldo’s last two games for the Red Devils with rumors that he could leave in the January transfer window.

And Neville is upset that Ronaldo hasn’t come out and cleared up certain rumors and comments about his future at Man Utd with fans only hearing from him when he posts an occasional caption on social media.

“I think he should actually speak, no one has heard him speak for six months, we don’t know anything about him,” Neville added.

“I think the reason I said earlier that Manchester United would be better off without him and he would be better off without Manchester United is that I expect a lot from him because I played with him for six years.

“You take responsibility for what happened. Don’t let other people answer your stuff for you.”

READ MORE: Who are we to criticize Qatar? Or Gary Neville. We are all great hypocrites…

Leave a Comment