Apple’s iOS 16.3 update is now available and brings new features, bug fixes, and security updates to your iPhone. The update was released alongside updates for other Apple software, such as iPadOS, Safari, and earlier versions of iOS. The latest iOS update comes about a month after the release of.
Here are the new features landing on your iPhone running iOS 16.3.
Compatibility with the second generation HomePod
Apple’s iOS 16.3 software will support the, which will be released on February 3 for $299 (£299, AU$479). Apple announced the launch of the new HomePod four days before the latest iOS software was available.
New Unity Wallpaper for Black History Month
The latest iOS update includes a new iPhone wallpaper as part of Apple’s Black Unity Collection. The collection celebrates Black History Month with a special-edition Apple Watch Black Unity Sport Loop, mosaic face, and new iPhone wallpaper. Apple also plans to release a selection of Black History Month content for Apple TV, Fitness Plus, Music, Maps, Books, Podcasts, and the App Store as part of the collection.
New ways to use Emergency SOS via satellite
Satellite emergency SOS was introduced in. In iOS 16.3, the call on hold option has been replaced by Call with hold and release. if you enable Call with hold and release, you can press and hold the side button and a volume button to start a countdown and alarm. After the countdown, you release the buttons and your iPhone will call emergency services on its own. before with call on hold, by pressing the side button and a volume button, the SOS Emergency call slider would appear first. If you continued to hold the buttons, a countdown would begin and an alarm would sound. After the countdown ends, your phone will make an emergency call.
There is also an option to call silently in SOS Emergency. By enabling this option, when you try to make an emergency SOS call, your phone will not start flashing or make an alarm sound.
Security keys come to Apple ID
Users can now use third-party security keys instead of two-factor authentication for their Apple ID.
Security keys are a lot like your house keys. You still use passwords, but this added layer of security can help protect you against phishing scams and hackers.
“Hardware security keys are very, very secure,” said Diya Jolly, product manager at authentication services company Okta..
The Apple Security Keys feature only works with security keys certified by the FIDO Alliance.
Here is the list of new features and changes included in iOS 16.3.
- Unity’s new wallpaper pays tribute to Black history and culture in celebration of Black History Month.
- Apple ID Security Keys allow users to strengthen their account security by requiring a physical security key as part of the two-factor authentication sign-in process on new devices.
- Support for HomePod (2nd generation).
- SOS emergency calls now require pressing and holding the side button with the volume up or down button and then releasing it to avoid inadvertent emergency calls.
- Fixes an issue in Freeform where some drawing strokes created with Apple Pencil or your finger might not appear on shared boards.
- Fixes an issue where the wallpaper may appear black on the lock screen.
- Fixes an issue where horizontal lines may temporarily appear when activating the iPhone 14 Pro Max.
- Fixes an issue where the Home lock screen widget does not accurately display the status of the Home app.
- Fixes an issue where Siri may not respond correctly to music requests.
- Resolves issues where Siri requests in CarPlay may not be understood correctly.
For more iOS 16 news, check out the new features atY . this is how you can too.