Apple’s iOS 16.3 update is now available and brings new features, bug fixes, and security updates to your iPhone. The update was released alongside updates to other Apple software, such as iPadOS, Safari, and earlier versions of iOS. It comes a month after the release of the latest iOS update..
Here are the new features landing on your iPhone running iOS 16.3.
Support for the second generation HomePod
Apple’s iOS 16.3 software supports it, which will be released on February 3 for $299 (£299, AU$479). Apple announced the launch of the new HomePod four days before the latest iOS software was available.
New Unity Wallpaper for Black History Month
A new iPhone wallpaper is part of Apple’s latest iOS update, the Black Unity Collection. The collection celebrates Black History Month with a special-edition Apple Watch Black Unity Sport Loop, mosaic face, and new iPhone wallpaper. Apple also plans to release a selection of Black History Month content on Apple TV, Fitness PlusMusic, maps, books, and podcasts as part of the App Store suite.
New ways to use emergency SOS via satellite
SOS emergency sent by satellite. In iOS 16.3, the wait and call option changed Call with hold and release. if you enable Call with hold and release, you can press and hold the side button and volume button to start the countdown and alarm. After the countdown, you release the buttons and your iPhone will automatically call emergency services. before with wait and call, pressing the side button and volume button will bring up the emergency SOS call slider first. If you hold down the buttons, the countdown will begin and the alarm will sound. When the countdown ends, your phone will make an emergency call.
There is also an option call softly In an emergency SOS. By enabling this option, your phone will not light up or start to sound an alarm when you try to make an emergency SOS call.
Security keys come to Apple ID
Users can now use third-party security keys for their Apple ID instead of two-factor authentication.
Security keys are like the keys to your house. You still use passwords, but this added layer of security will help protect you from phishing scams and hackers.
“Hardware security keys are very secure,” said Thea Jolly, product manager at authentication services company Okta..
The Apple Security Keys feature only works with FIDO Alliance-certified security keys.
Here is the list of new features and changes included in iOS 16.3.
- Unity’s new wallpaper celebrates Black history and culture during Black History Month.
- Apple ID Security Keys allow users to strengthen their account security by requiring a physical security key as part of the two-factor authentication sign-in process on new devices.
- Support for HomePod (2nd generation).
- SOS emergency calls now require the side button to be held down with the volume up or down button and released to prevent accidental emergency calls.
- Fixes an issue in Freeform where some drawing strokes made with Apple Pencil or your finger would not appear on shared boards.
- Fixes an issue where the wallpaper may appear black on the lock screen.
- Fixes an issue where horizontal lines may temporarily appear when activating the iPhone 14 Pro Max.
- Fixes an issue where the home lock screen widget did not display the home app status accurately.
- Fixes an issue where Siri would not respond correctly to music requests.
- Resolves issues where Siri requests cannot be understood correctly in CarPlay.
For more iOS 16 news, check out New FeaturesY . this is how you can too.